The foundation of your nail is important to keep healthy. But do you know the steps to maintaining a perfect nail? It starts with understanding the anatomy of your nail, which is imperative to maintain healthy, natural nails.
- The Nail plate: The plate is the part of the nail that's most visible, and usually the hardest part of your nail.
- The Nail folds: The skin around your nail that frames your nail plate.
- The Nail bed: Your nail bed is the skin beneath the nail plate.
- The Cuticle: Your cuticle is the tissue that overlaps your nail plate at the base of your nail. It protects the new keratin cells that slowly emerge from the nail bed.
- The Lunula: The lunula is the whitish portion of your nail, often in a half-moon shape, at the base of your nail underneath the plate.
|Sheri Ann Richerson|