Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Nail Polish Brands and other Nailcare topics.
The foundation of your nail is important to keep healthy. But do you know the steps to maintaining a perfect nail? It starts with understanding the anatomy of your nail, which is imperative to maintain healthy, natural nails.
- The Nail plate: The plate is the part of the nail that's most visible, and usually the hardest part of your nail.
- The Nail folds: The skin around your nail that frames your nail plate.
- The Nail bed: Your nail bed is the skin beneath the nail plate.
- The Cuticle: Your cuticle is the tissue that overlaps your nail plate at the base of your nail. It protects the new keratin cells that slowly emerge from the nail bed.
- The Lunula: The lunula is the whitish portion of your nail, often in a half-moon shape, at the base of your nail underneath the plate.